Saturday, August 12, 2017

Week 2/Semana 2

Day 9:
Today was the first day of school. I had Spanish and a history class. I found out that I got a B2 (Intermediate High) on my Spanish test. I was praying for a B1 (Intermediate Low). That also means that I can do community service. I'm really torn between taking a history class and doing community service though. I hate history, but I'm scared my Spanish isn't enough for community service. I scheduled an interview for community service, so now I just hope I don't mess things up.

Day 10:
Today I had Uruguayan Culture and Uruguayan Literature. Neither class seems like it will be difficult. My literature teacher told me that my Spanish was really good and asked how long I'd been studying (the answer is 8 years of classes and 2 Spanish Camps by the way). It was not a big deal, but it made me feel so good about myself. I'm very self conscious about speaking Spanish. My interview is tomorrow. It's cold and rainy, which doesn't make for fun outdoors. It looks like it's going to be that way until Sunday, so don't expect many cool pics this week.

Day 11:
I had my interview for community service today. I think it went well. The only thing I messed up on was that I forgot how to say the letter "G" when spelling my name for the lady. Then I went to Spanish class and back home again.
Hanging at school

Laura told Jenny and I that we need less casita and more doing stuff and going places. Once it's warmer that won't be an issue because I'll want to go to the beach. But for now I don't really know where to go or what to do. Anyways, that's all for now. I should hear back about where I'll be getting placed for service soon.

Day 12:
Today I went to the bank and the exchange place all by myself (big deal here people). Then it was off to school.
Trash Man in Uruguay. Or at least he was picking things out of everyones trash.
Cool statue I found on a wrong turn going home from school

I also played with Tulita. Silly dog preferred playing with a  rock than a ball. She'd even trade them if I tried to play ball instead of rock. 

Jenny and I went to the mall, Punta Carretas, this evening. The mall is giant! It's 3 stories. I didn't recognize any of the stores, but there was everything you could imagine in there and we only went to the first floor.
Pretty church on our walk to the mall
Ice cream at the mall.
I'm finally settling in. I still miss home, but I'm not crying every night. I'm more ready to explore my surroundings than I was last week. I've started a list of all the places I'd like to go and things I'd like to do before leaving. My goal is to go someplace every weekend. There's lots of open air markets on the weekends from what I understand. They seem like great places to find Christmas gifts for people back home.

Day 13:
Today was rainy. I slept in and eventually went to class. After class Jenny and I came home. We had some amazing little cookies called "ojitos" (little eyes). They're like the little round cookies with preserves in the middle that we have in the States, but fresh out of the oven. I also played fetch with my Uruguayan puppy. She's a pain sometimes, but I do love her. The weekend is finally here! I want to go to a feria (open air market) this weekend or maybe the ginormous mall.

I must say that absolutely love my host family. They really care about us. Laura moms us. "Do you have your water bottle? Take a jacket, it's cold. Here take this apple in case you get hungry." It's really awesome to have somebody care about me like that. Especially when I've only known them 13 days. Eduardo is always joking around and teasing me, feels just like home. He also gives us little lessons like his "Usted" lesson last week or the importance of knowing where your family came from this morning during breakfast. They have helped make the transition much easier. I greatly appreciate them.

Day 14:
Another rainy day, but it quit long enough for me to walk to the mall. I hadn't eaten lunch so I got an ice cream cone.
Dulce de leche ice cream

This mall is giant! There's 3 stories.  I wondered through all of it. Most of the store I didn't recognize, but there were a few like Subway, McDonalds, and Rebook that I did.
Top looking down
Bottom looking up

On my way home I passed a feria. I decided to walk through since I had nothing else to do. I saw a person selling tortas fritas and I stopped. I've been wanting to try one. It was delicious. Would have been really good with powdered sugar, but I didn't know how to ask if for it nor if they had it. I enjoyed it anyways as I walked through the people selling fruits and veggies.
Torta frita

I cannot believe I've been here for 2 weeks already. I'm past being homesick (except that I miss cereal so I bought some) and have begun to explore. I think I'm going to need a hobby down here because I spend a lot of time on Pinterest. I may go with photography because it will help me go explore my surroundings more. 




Día 9:
Hoy fue el primer día de clases. Tuve Español y Pensamiento en Latinoamérica y Uruguay. Recibí un B2 (Intermedio Alto) en mi examen de Español. Esperaba para B1 (Intermedio Bajo). Eso significa que puedo hacer servicios comunitarios. Quiero tomar Pensamiento porque es fácil pero también quiero hacer servicios. Pero no creo que mi Español es bastante para servicios y la odio historia. Tengo una entrevista para servicios. Ahora espero que no estropeo nada.

Día 10:
Hoy tuve Cultura Uruguaya y Literatura Uruguaya. Ninguna clase parece difícil. Mi profesor de literatura me dijo que mi Español fue muy bueno y preguntó para cuanto tiempo había estudiado Español (la respuesta es 8 años de clases y 2 de Camp de Español). No fue un gran cosa pero me hizo sentir buena. No tengo confianza cuando hablo Español. Mi entrevista es mañana. Hace frío y lloviendo, por eso no es divertido para estar afuera. Parece como continua hasta domingo, así que no espera muchas fotos esta semana.

Día 11:
Tuve mi entrevista para servicios comunitarios hoy. Creo que fue bien.Olvidé como decir "g" cuando la mujer me preguntó cómo escribir mi nombre. Entonces fui a la clase de Español y regresé a la casita.
A la universidad
Laura nos dijo que necesitamos menos casita y más haciendo cosas. Cuando es más caliente no será un problema porque querré ir al la playa. Pero ahora no sé qué hacer. De todos modos, esto es todo para ahora. Debería oír algo de servicios dentro de una semana.

Día 12:
Hoy fui al banco y cambio de dinero sola (es grande para mí). Entonces salí para la universidad.
Basurero Uruguayo. O al menos él tomaba cosas de la basura.
Encontré después de una vuelta incorrecta

Jugue con Tulita. Loca perra prefería jugar con una roca de la pelota. Intercambió si traté jugar con la pelota. 

Jenny y yo fuimos a Punta Carretas esta tarde. ¡Es enorme! Tiene 3 pisos. No reconoce las tiendas pero todo que possible quieres estaba allá y solo fuimos a la primer piso.
Iglesia bonita por nuestra camina a Punta Carretas
¡Helado!
Estoy mucho más mejor esta semana. Extraño los E.E.U.U pero no lloro cada noche. Estoy más lista para explorar mi ciudad nueva. Empece una lista de todo que quiero hacer y ir antes de diciembre. Quiero ir/hacer algo cada fin de semana. Creo que hay muchas ferias durante los fines de semana. Parecen como lugares perfectos para regalos de Navidad para mi gente en los E.E.U.U.

Día 13:
Hoy llovió. Dormí tarde y entonces fui a la clase. Después de clase, Jenny y yo regresamos a la casa. Tenemos galletitas se llaman ojitos. También jugué pelota con mi perrita Uruguaya. Ella me molesta a veces pero la ama. ¡El fin de semana está aquí! Este fin de semana quiero ir a una feria o Puntas Carretas.

Tengo que decir que absolutamente ama mi familia Uruguaya. Ellos cuidan de nosotros. Laura es como una mamá. <<¿Tienes una botella de agua? Necesitas una chaqueta, hace frío. Tomas esta manzana por si tienes hambre.>> Es fantástico para tener alguien cuidarme como así. Especialmente cuando solo he conocido para 13 días. Eduardo siempre está bromeando, como hogar. También enseña cositas como la historia de usted y la importancia de saber de donde es su familia. Ellos me ayudaban hacer la transición mucho más fácil. Los agradezco.

Día 14:
Más lluvia hoy, pero paró para un tiempo. Fui a Puntas Carretas. No había comido así que tuve helado.
Helado de dulce de leche

¡El centro es enorme! Hay 3 pisos. Caminé por todo. No reconocí la mayoría de las tiendas pero hay pocas como Subway, McDonalds y Rebook.
Arriba mirando hacia abajo
Abajo mirando hacia arriba

En mi camino hacia la casa, pasé una feria. Decidí caminar a través porque no tenía nada más para hacer. Vi una persona con tortas fritas y paré. He estado queriendo probar una. Fue deliciosa. Habría sido mejor con azúcar pero no sabía como preguntarlo o si lo tenía. La disfrutaba mientras caminé por la gente vendieron vegetables y frutas.

Torta frita
No puedo creer que ya he estado aquí por 2 semanas. La nostálgico es no más (excepto que lo extrañé cereal así que lo compré) y ahora quiero explorar. Creo que voy a necesitar un pasatiempo porque ahora paso mucho tiempo en Pinterest. Estoy pensando en fotografía porque me ayuda explorar mi ciudad más.

No comments:

Post a Comment