Saturday, August 19, 2017

Week 3/Semana 3

Day 15:
This morning I got up and went to a feria (open air market). It was at Parque Rodó. This thing was huge and my pictures don't do it justice.
There were 3 isles, but each was crazy long.
I'd read about panchos and they were a must it food in Uruguay, so I stopped and got one. It's just a really long hotdog. Like 3 Bars hotdogs stuck together.
Pancho

I did walk away with several goodies.
Here's my maté cup. I may save it and buy a cheap one to actually use. 
A Uruguayan flag patch for my canvas backpack and a Uruguay keychain.
Laura suggested I get a little book to write new words and phrases. I found the perfect one at the feria.
A small leather book to write new words and phrases.
Away from the action to eat my pancho. You can see some venders behind me.

When I got back I called home. I hadn't talked to Bubsy Wubsy since I left.
We must be related

I was going to play on the computer, but I kept hearing whines from a certain puppy. So, we went to the rambla.
La Rambla
Silly puppy wanted to walk on the wall


She was scared of the water, but enjoyed the sand

I love my puppy

Kisses
Sun is setting
These are some pictures of the scenery I collected on my walks today.







Day 16:
Today wasn't all that exciting. I went to school and worked on a project for Teachers Pay Teachers. Jenny has stopped speaking English, so now most all input is Spanish. I'm trying to make most output Spanish, but it's difficult. 

Day 17:
So I missed going a meeting about community service today because I never got a message or email about it. Jenny told me it wasn't important, but worries me that they didn't contact me. Yesterday on my walk home there were police all over the park and I had no idea what was going on. It was because there was a soccer game. They were there to prevent fights.

Day 18:
I noticed lots of kid books in Spanish on a shelf next to my bed. I've taken to reading one aloud to myself at night to help me with learn the language. I'm embarrassed when I have to read aloud in class because I stumble over words and don't read fluently at all. If anything, this experience has made me really feel for ELL's. Sitting in a lecture without visuals is hard, especially when the teacher speaks quickly. Being surrounded by a language you don't fully comprehend is hard and even harder when you are trying to communicate. I'm processing all day long. Everything going in and out must be processed and that alone is exhausting. I'm not even in regular classes like an ELL would be. I'm in the equivalent to ESL classes. It puts things into perspective.

Day 19:
Most of the time I have no idea what we are eating here, but I've know for sure today we had arroz con leche (rice pudding) and I love it. There's actually not been much food I don't care for. I eat all of it, even though I don't know what it is. Also I can finally get from school home without GPS. I can't get to school without GPS, but I'm getting there.
Park near the house. Nothing like those in Joplin.

I miss karate, but it's not really warm enough to go to the beach and do kata yet, so I did it on the wet and slippery patio.


Day 20:
It's Friday! Once again nothing much happened today. I had 2 classes and no homework. I spent a lot of time working on my lessons for Teachers Pay Teachers. I'm finally able to bring all my ideas to life. It feels like I'm on vacation. Classes don't start until 1:30 or 3 and I only have 1 or 2 per day. I'm still waiting to hear something about community service, which will take up another 5 hours a week. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, but Sunday should be sunny. 

Day 21:
Today was wet and rainy. I played on my computer all day long. Total bum.




Día 15:
Esta mañana, fui a la feria al Parque Rodó. Fue muy muy grande y mis fotos no representa bien.
Había 3 islas

Leí de panchos y fue obligatorio si estás en Uruguay, así que compré uno. Es una salchicha largo.
Pancho

Compré unas cosas.
Copa y bombilla para maté. Creo que voy a comprar algo barato para tomar aquí.
Una bandera para mi mochila y un llavero
Laura me dijo que necesito un librito para escribir 5 palabras o frases nuevas cada día. La idea es para  revisar cada noche y aprender vocabulario como así.
Encontré un librito perfecto
Comiendo mi pancho. Puedes ver la feria detrás de mi. 

Llamé mi hermanito cuando regresé. No había hablado con Bubsy Wubsy desde llegue.
Somos familia

Iba a jugar en la computadora, pero oye los gemidos de una perrita. Así que, fuimos a la rambla.
La Rambla
Caminando sobre el pared, perrita loca


Tenía miedo del agua, pero disfrutó la arena


La ama mi perrita Uruguaya

Besos
El sol se está poniendo
Estas son unas fotos de mis caminos





Día 16:
Hoy no estaba muy emocionante. Fui a la universidad y trabajé en un proyecto para Teachers Pay Teachers. Jenny ha parado hablar inglés, así que la mayoría de la entrada es español. Estoy tratando hacer la mayoría de producción en español también, pero es difícil.

Día 17:
No fui a la reunión para servicios comunitarios porque no sabía porque no recibí un mensaje. Jenny me dijo que no fue importante pero me hace preocupada que ellos no me dijeron. Ayer había muchos policías en el parque. No tuve ni idea que pasó. Anoche fue un partido de fútbol. Ellos estaban allá para parar luchas.

Día 18:
Hay muchos libros infantiles al lado de mi cama. Me leo en voz alta todas las noches para mejorar mi español. Tengo vergüenza cuando tengo que leer en clase porque trastabillo de palabras no leo con fluidez. Si nada, esta experiencia me ha hecho sentir para los principiantes de inglés. Sentir en una clases sin visuales es duro especialmente cuando el profesor habla muy rápido. Es difícil para estar rodeado de una idioma que no entiendes totalmente y aún más cuando estás tratando de comunicar. Estoy procesando todo el día. Todo viniendo y saliendo tiene que estar procesando y solo eso es muy agotadora. No estoy en las clases regulars como un principiante de inglés será. Estoy en clases como los especialmente para principiantes de inglés. Pone cosas en perspectiva seguro. 

Día 19:
La mayoría del tiempo no tengo ni idea que comemos, pero estoy seguro que hoy comimos arroz con leche y me encanta. Realmente no había mucha comida que no me gusto. Como todo. También puedo ir a la casa desde la universidad sin GPS. No puedo ir a la universidad, pero estoy trabajándolo.
Un parque cerca de la casa. No es como los parques en Joplin.
Lo extraño karate, pero no hace bastante calor para ir a la playa y hacer kata, así que hice en el patio mojado y resbaladizo. 


Día 20:
¡Es viernes! Una otra vez más nada mucho pasó. Tuve 2 clases y no tarea. Trabajé mucho en mis lecciones para Teachers Pay Teachers. Finalmente puedo dar vida a mis ideas.  Me siento como estoy en vacaciones. Mis clases no empiezan hasta a la una y media o tres en la tarde y solamente tengo 1 o 2 por día. Ya estoy esperando para oír algo de servicios comunitarios, cual van a tomar 5 más horas por semana. Mañana se supone que llover, pero domingo debe estará soleado.

Día 21:
Hoy fue mojado y lluvioso. Juego en mi computadora todo el día.  

No comments:

Post a Comment