Saturday, September 2, 2017

Week 5/Semana 5

Day 29:
Today I went to a different market called Tristán Narvaja. It was HUGE. As far as I could see in any direction there were tents. They had everything. Food, toys, chinchillas, toothpaste, door knobs, clothes...EVERYTHING. And all I bought was a torta frita to eat.
Look way way back in the background. As far as you can see there are tents.
Birds!
My only purchase

Then I went to the market that I normally go to in search of a Christmas present, which I didn't find. I did see this random group of guys singing though. 

Day 30:
This morning I worked on my lessons for Teachers Pay Teachers. Then I had class, the one class I dislike, so I was not in a great mood this evening. Anna asked me if I would go to the beach with her and the dog, so I did. Put me in a much better mood if anything.

Day 31:
Today it rained and rained and rained. My walk to and from school was quite wet. But sometimes that's exactly what one needs, a walk in the rain by herself. 

Day 32:
Tulita got out yesterday and we haven't seen her since. Somebody claims to have found her in nearby city. If it is her then she will come home tomorrow. On a happier note, I finally heard back on community services. I had a meeting today. I'm joining a group of Uruguayan students already involved at a preschool. We will be doing art projects with the. I'm still somewhat lost on all of the details, but will work on figure them all out tomorrow. 

Day 33:
There is no crazy like soccer game crazy here in Montevideo. Every stereotype about them loving soccer is well founded and a great understatement. On game day the streets are packed with cars. There are cops all over the place to break up fights. People are selling flags and things on the streets.  Every bar in town is full, or so I'm told (I've not actually ventured out to one).
Flags for sale
Blowing horns and wearing the flags like capes

I stayed in and called home to talk to family while everybody else went out to watch the game.
One of my favorite meals (no, I don't exactly know what it is, but it's kinda like chicken noodle soup over rice)

Day 34:
The day started off with Jenny giving Eduardo a haircut. He came in with scissors and a comb and Jenny looked him and was like I'm not a hairdresser. I don't know how to do this. He insisted and she eventually gave him a trim.

Then it was off to the Carnaval Museum for our culture class. I must admit I thought it was going to be lame because it was a museum. I was wrong by a long shot.
There are 3 drums types of drums each played with a specific rhythm.

The Chico is the smallest. The Piano is next in size. The Repique is the biggest. He showed us how to play each rhythm, then it he allowed people to come up and try playing them. I wanted to try, but did not want to get up in front of people. I convinced myself to go because I would never have this opportunity again.
Me playing one of the candombe drum

The entire class got up and we had a Carnaval parade down the middle of the museum. We all had costumes and they taught us the dances and how to carry the drums. I was handed a shiny costume and was a dancer. 
Costumes of Carnaval


Most people think of Brazil when they think of Carnaval, but here in Uruguay they have it too. The one in Brazil only lasts 3 days, but the one here lasts for 30. It begins in January and lasts until February. It began as a festival for the slaves. They were given one day off per year. Eventually the whites joined, but would paint their faces black to be more accepted. Now they have several different categories of events. The Sociedades de Negros y Lubolos is the festival of Blacks and Whites. This is when those special drums are played and people dance. There's also the Murga, which is musical performances that usually mock some well known event, person, or the society in general. There's also the Parodistas who perform a parody of a well known book or movie. The Revistas sing pop songs. 


This is on of many stages throughout Uruguay where performances are held during Carnaval. 


Anna and I at the museum

Day 35:
Today two friends and I went to Ciudad Vieja (old part of the city) to check out the Artisans Market. I didn't buy anything, but there are a couple things I like.
One of them was a drum, but I just don't know how much space I'm gonna have coming home. 

Then we walked around the city and stopped in a café. I ate ojitos, but giant ones. It's thumbprint cookies just by a different name.





Día 29:
Hoy fui a una feria diferente se llama Tristán Narvaja. ¡Fue ENORME! Todo podría ver fue feria. Tuvieron todo. La comida, los juguetes, los animales,  la pasta dental, las perillas, la ropa..TODO. Y mi única compra fue una torta frita.
Miras en el fondo. Cosas tan lejos que puedes ver.
¡Pájaros!
Mi unica compra

Entonces fui a la feria normal en busca de una regalo para Navidad, que no encontré. Pero, vi un grupo de cantantes.
SaveSave

Día 30:
Esta mañana trabajé en mis lecciones para Teachers Pay Teachers. Entonces tuve clase, la única clase que no me gusta, así no estaba en buen humor esta tarde. Anna me preguntó si quería ir a la playa con ella y Tulita. Fui y al menos me pudo en un humor mejor. 

Día 31:
Hoy llovía y llovía y llovía. Mi camino a y de la universidad fue muy mojado. Pero a veces eso es exactamente que se necesita, un camino en la lluvia sola.

Día 32:
Tulita se escapó ayer no todavía la hemos visto. Alguien cree que la tenemos en otra ciudad. Si es Tulita, ella va a regresar mañana. En otras noticias, finalmente oye de servicios comentarios. Hoy tuve una reunión. Voy con un grupo de uruguayas a una escuela preescolar y haciendo arte con los niños. Todavía no estoy segura de todos los detalles pero voy a trabajar en esos mañana. 

SaveSave
Día 33:
No hay caos como partido de fútbol caos acá en Montevideo. Todos los estereotipos de su amor de fútbol son la verdad y no comunican su amor. En la día de un partido las calles están llenas de coches. Hay policía en cada esquina. Hay gente en la calle están vendiendo banderas y cosas. Cada bar está lleno de gente, o así se dice (nunca voy). 
Vendiendo banderas
Cuernos y llevando banderas como cabos

Me quedé en casa y llamé mi familia mientras todos los otros salieron para mirar el partido.
Una de mis comidas favoritas  (no sé exactamente que es pero es como sopa de pollo con fideos pero sin fideos y sobre arroz)
Día 34:
El día empezó con Jenny cortando el pelo de Eduardo. Él le dio las tijeras. Ella dijo que no sabes como cortar pelo pero eso no fue importante a él. 

Entonces fuimos al Museo de Carnaval para nuestra clase de cultura. Creía que será aburrido pero no fue.
Hay 3 tambores con un ritmo especifico. 

El Chico es el más pequeño. El Piano es la próxima en tamaño. El Repique es el más grande. Él nos demostró como tocar cada ritmo y entonces tuvimos la oportunidad para tocar. Quería tocar pero no en frente de la clase. Me convencí para tocar porque nunca voy a tener la oportunidad de nuevo.
Tocando un tambor de candombe

Todo la clase tuvo un desfile de Carnaval en el museo. Llevé un disfraz brillante y bailé.
 Disfraces de Carnaval


Mucha gente piensa de Brasil cuando piensa de Carnaval, pero acá en Uruguay tiene también. El Carnaval de Brasil es 3 días. El de Uruguay es 30. Empieza en enero y termina en febrero. Empezó como un festival para los enslaves. Ellos tenían un día libre por año. En tiempo los blancos empezaron de celebrar con los negros, pero pintaban sus caras negro para están aceptados por los negros. Hay cuantos categorías de eventos. Las Sociedades de Negros y Lubolos es el festival de negros y blancos. Esto es cuando se toca los tambores y baila como nosotros en el museo. También hay la Murga, cual es un espectáculo satírico de los eventos, las políticas o la sociedad.  También hay las Parodistas que performa un parodia de un libro o una película. Finalmente tenemos Las Revistas que cantan canciones de pop.


Uno de muchos escenarios en Uruguay para Carnaval.

Anna  y yo al museo

Día 35:
Hoy fui a Cuidad Vieja con dos amigas para ir al Mercado de los Artesanos. No compré nada, pero vi cosas que me gustan.
Una de las cosas fue un tambor, pero no sé cuanto espacio voy a tener en mi maleta. 

Entonces caminamos por la ciudad y paremos en un café. Comí ojitos grandes.

No comments:

Post a Comment