Saturday, September 16, 2017

Week 7/Semana 7

Day 43:
I felt poopy today. I spent basically my entire day in bed.
Watched church live on Facebook

Day 44:
Today I had community services. One little boy asked me what my name was. I told him, "Morgan". He threw his hands up in the air and dramatically says, "What language are you speaking? I don't understand!" Another girl repeated my name, but with a Uruguayan accent, and he said, "Oh". It cracked me up. They also guessed where I was from. China was the most popular answer.  I was able to understand more of what the kids were saying and respond back to them today. Then I went to Spanish. Today was by far my worst day yet in that class. I left crying if that tells you anything. The teacher gave me extra homework, which was to read a children's story to myself and tell it to the class on Wednesday. This is on top of being the only one who is required to write the news that she brings in. She also told me that I need to practice reading because I don't read fluently. I already knew that and have been reading out loud to myself every night for several weeks. I've been taught to recognize those students who have issues reading so it took me no time at all to realize I was lacking fluency. To make things even worse she pointed at me and told me that I needed to practice more before the test. She reads everybody else's papers aloud, but just goes over all of my mistakes in front of them. She targets me and picks on me because I'm the lowest level in the class. I hate that class and really don't care if I pass it because I only need it for to be enrolled full time. I don't need the credits. I've never not cared about passing a class.

Day 45:
School and home, nothing too exciting.

Day 46:
I talked to my teacher today. She apologized and told me that it wasn't her intent to make me feel like that. I hope her actions reflect her apology.  I don't feel as sick today either. Still congested, but not as bad.


Day 47:
Nothing really exciting today except for the professor writing a curse word on the board. He then asked us what it was in English. Hearing him repeat it in English cracked me up. There's something funny about hearing people cuss in the their second language. It doesn't carry the same impact as it does for native speakers.

Day 48:
Today was another visit to a boring museum with my culture class. It was Museo Figari. It featured mostly works from Pedro Figari. Here's some boring pictures to prove that I was there.



The interesting part was the bathroom. It was all frosted glass, stalls and walls included. Therefore you could see the person in the stall next to you and also see into the bathroom from the outside. Super special. 

Just for fun, any ideas what this is?
A standard Uruguayan school bus!
Day 49:
I went and got myself a bus card this morning. I was feeling very accomplished until I got on the bus and it didn't work. Gotta figure that out now. 

Despite the card not working, I went to the big agricultural expo, Prado. It was basically a county fair, but for Uruguay.
Cow selfie
Moo

Baa

Sheep selfie
Hold me mom
He's not dressed like a cowboy.
There were some dancers, who did like a mini Carnaval parade

Deere selfie
Happy goat
Not so happy goat
Cock-a-doodle-doo!

I don't know what sound bunnies make

Hungry animals

 I ate a chivito for lunch. Yummy Yummy

I got on the bus to come home and didn't bother with my card. I have an app that tells me what bus to take and where to get on and off at. There's also a line that shows me the route and where we are on it. My bus didn't follow it. It turned and turned and turned. Nobody got on or off. I was worried, but nobody else seemed to be. We eventually got to my stop and I jumped off and made it home fine, but boy was I sure glad to get off.
Here's a video of some of my sights.




Día 43:
Me sentía mala todo el día. Básicamente no sale de mi cama.
Miré la iglesia por Facebook Live
Día 44:
Hoy tuve servicios comunitarios. Un niño me preguntó "¿Cómo te llamas?". Le dijo, "Morgan". Él respondió dramáticamente, "¿Qué idioma hablas? No entiendo." Otra chica repitió mi nombre pero con un acento uruguayo y él dijo, "Oh."  También todos creyeron que soy de China. Podría entender más de su español y responder hoy. Entonces fui a la clase de español. Era el peor día todavía. Salí llorado. La maestra me dio tarea extra, cual fue leer un libro infantil y lo cuento a la clase. También tengo que escribir todas mis noticias para clase. Soy la única que tiene escribirlas. Me dijo que necesito practicar a leer porque no leo con fluencia. Ya sabía eso y he leyendo todas las noches para unas semanas. Aprendí como reconocer estudiantes que tienen problemas cuando leyendo y por eso me di la cuenta que no leo con fluencia muy temprano. Me dijo que necesito practicar más antes del examen. Solo yo en frente de la clase. No lee mis ensayos a la clase como todos los otros, solo me da correcciones en frente de ellos. Odio la clase y no me importa si aprobar porque no necesito los créditos. Nunca en mi vida he dicho eso.

Día 45:
Universidad y casa. Nada emocionante.

Día 46:
Hablé con mi profesora. Ella se disculpó y me dijo que no era su intento para me hace sentir como así. Espero que sus acciones reflejan su apología. No me siento tan enferma hoy. Todavía congestionada pero no tan malo.

Día 47:
Nada muy emocionante hoy excepto para el profesor escribió una palabra mala en el pizarrón. Entonces él preguntó que fue en inglés. Cuando él la repitió en inglés me hizo reír. Hay algo de oyendo palabras malas de hablantes que no son nativos.  No llevan el mismo impacto que llevan para nativos.

Día 48:
Hoy visité otro museo aburrido con mi clase de cultura Uruguaya. Era Museo Figari. Tenía obras de Pedro Figari y pocas por otros artistas. Acá hay unas fotos aburridos del museo aburrido.



La cosa interesante fue el baño. Todo era vidrio esmerilado, los paredes y cubícalos incluidos. Por lo tanto podía ver la persona en la cubícalo al lado de ti y también la gente en el baño desde el exterior. Súper especial.
Solamente para diversión ¿Sabes qué es esto?
¡Es un autobus escolar Uruguayo!
Día 49:
Compré una tarjeta para el omnibus esta mañana. Me sentía muy realizada hasta subí el bus y mi tarjeta no funcionó. Tengo que resolver eso ahora. 

A pesar de mi tarjeta, fui al Prado, una exposición agricultural.
Vaca selfi
Muuu

Bee

Oveja selfi
Me lleva, mamá
Él no parece como un vaquero
Había un desfile mini de Carnaval

Deere selfi
Cabra alegre
Cabra no tan alegre
¡Qui-qui-ri-quí!

No sé que sonido los conejos hacen
Animales hambrientos

Un chivito para el almuerzo. 
Entonces tomé un bus a la casa pero no usé mi tarjeta esta vez. Tengo un app que me dice como tomar el bus. Hay una linea de la ruta. Mi bus no siguió la linea. Dobló y dobló dobló. No sé que pasó pero estaba preocupado. Finalmente llegué a mi parada y estaba cho cho para bajar.
Acá es un video de algunas de mis vistas

No comments:

Post a Comment